Saturday, June 15, 2013

My Gluten Free Journey

Since recent events and discomforting bowel movements. I have officially decided to try something new for my health and am now a dairy, bean and gluten avoider. Like every journey into the unknown it can be a bit scary trying new things, but I've got a sneaky feeling that a gluten free diet is not going to be as bad as it seems. So I've decided, instead of being selfish and keep all my cool gluten free discoveries to myself, i'm going to share them with anyone else who is in a similar situation to me. I hope you find these posts useful, inspiring and most of all I hope you find yourself a little less afraid of the gluten free lifestyle. 


Day One:

Breakfast- 2 slices Gluten Free toast contains 3.2 g fiber, texture is exactly like normal toast but maybe a little bit lighter.  I tried Warburtons free from brown bread. £2.48 at Tescos

Lunch- Quinoa with Zuccini and Onions. Yum! (Don't forget to cook onions until soft and translucent) 
Took ages to work out how to cook the actual Quinoa, but don't panic. Its not as hard as it seems, it just needs a few logical measurements and a google search and i've already done that for you. Love from the kitchn :) 

Dinner- Cauliflower Curry. Who Knew curry could be so easy! This curry is such a great comfort food and it's so healthy too! Just top with a dollop of spicy mango chutney and it could literally make your day. 

Recipe for Cauliflower Curry 

Small tip.. from experience. Always read the recipe first. Trust me it could end up in all sorts of disasters. Like the familiar.. Half way through the recipe and dammit we've run out of tomatoes?? 

Ingredients:
1 sliced onion
  • 2 Tbsp oil
    1 Tbsp (hot) curry paste. (But if your not a spice fan, half a tbsp is fine. I'm guessing but can't say i'm an expert on mild curries) 
  • 1 small cauliflower
  • 400g tin tomatoes
  • 100g spinach, roughly chopped. (Without stems.) I know they're the healthiest part but they really ruin the fun.
Method: 
1.Fry onion until soft and translucent about 10 minutes (depending on the cooker) 

... While onion is cooking 

2. Tear or cut cauliflower into florets, then after 10 minutes add to onion stir and leave to a minute. Then add the tomatoes and break down with spoon. And 300ml water then bring to a gentle simmer for 10-15 minutes until the tomato has broken down and the cauliflower is tender.

3. Stir through the spinach until wilted and serve hot! 


Hope this help those embarking on a the gluten free band wagon and also people who just want to try something new. 

Rowan 

    x

No comments:

Post a Comment